Monday, May 19, 2008

Our Story- Whangaparaoa College

As the fog lifted only the peak of Whangaparaoa College could be seen. I felt slightly uneased as I walked briskly down the hill which was once Delshaw Avenue.It's been 48 years since I had set foot in this school.. Whangaparaoa College was abandoned about 30 years ago when it went bankrupt. All of the renevations were complete when not long after, a major error was discovered in the banking. The school had no choice but to close down. As the rest of the school came into view, I realised how much had changed in the world. Today we were used to seeing narrow, multiple story buildings made from dark tinted glass with electronic windows, doors and convertable rooves. But now, standing here, I remember when buildings were made from things like bricks, concrete, wood, tiles and plaster, you had to physically open windows and doors by hand, and rooves just stayed put on the top of buildings. I carried on walking through the school. My pace slowed. Memories started to flood back to me. I remembered all of the good and bad experiences that I went through here. I felt sad but happy at the same time. Sad because all of were over. Happy because those memories would always be with me..Abruptly out of nowhere, a tree branch fell onto one of the walls making a slight dent. Confused that such a small branch could dent a wall, I looked towards the dent and in the corner of my eye I spotted my name written in vibrant flourecent writing in the corner of the wall. "Billy." I read aloud. I then noticed a faint arrow pointing to where the tree branch had dented the wall. Curiously, I peeled away some of the plaster that was covering the wall. There was nothing behind it. No wood, cement or brick.. That explained why the small branch was able to dent it. It was like the tree branch was meant to fall. I felt a chill go down my spine and my instinct told me to leave, but I had to find out more. So I pulled away more of the plaster only to reveal a medium sized box squeezed into the whole in the wall. **NOT FINISHED**

No comments: