Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Whangaparaoa in the future

Whangaparaoa in the future! Stephanie Thompson

Whangaparaoa has transformed from a lovely homely place, to one of devastation, no building before me stood strong. They are piles of rubble, chunks of metal and gigantic holes in the ground. Lampposts are strewn around; they lie limp like dead snakes. Wood and brick are scatted everywhere you look.
This is not the Whangaparaoa coast that I remember. As I walk slowly up the unsteady road, memories fly back to me. I ran up this road on hot sunny days to be home in time for my favourite TV program, and the smell of mum’s home cooking hitting me as I reach the front door. I snap back from my memories with a bang, I have almost walked into a gigantic ditch. Walking carefully around I look up toward a place I once new very well. My home. Gradually, I make my way up the unstable front steps. This was once the house I had lived in for most of my life, until the event which caused all this destruction and forced my family to leave. Tears begin to swell up in my eyes, this, is where I was once happy, when my life was good. Once again the memories flooded back, this time the memory is not a happy one.


10 years earlier…

Bang! I heard someone shot a little was off; who is it? I wonder where my family is. I crawled out from my hiding place underneath some old stairs; they would not hold up for much longer. I run out into the windy rain, white cold things landed on my bear skin I looked up in amazement, could it be? Yes, it was. White snow tumbled from the darkened sky. Never before had this happened. Wind twirled around me chilling me to the bone, the trees were like string blowing in the wind. This was not good, and it was only going to get worse. There was a Crash, I spun around and there flying toward me was a massive wave, I knew there was no way I could out run it. My heart pounded in my chest as I looked around. There was no one in sight. I sprinted toward the nearest house. I threw open the door and the wind slammed it shut just as I slipped in. I needed to find a secure place. I run into the basement. There huddled in the corner was a small boy about the age of three, tears streaming down his face. “Hey, are you okay?” I ask him kindly “where are your parents?” he did not answer. Knowing I had no time I ran down to him pulled him into my arms and hurried towards a secure looking corner. I cover him with my body, as the house starts to shake. I hit my head ageist the wall and become unconscious. It has all happened so fast, just a few days ago I was sitting and relaxing in the sun. News reports had said we were expecting bad weather but not this bad, it was snowing? It never snowed this far north. We had entered the end of the world. And all because of greedy people in our world that take advantage of what we have, ignoring all the signals, all the warnings. This is where we all end up. Without hope, we have no power or say in what we think I right, because we would be fighting with some of the most powerful people in the world.

I awoke to a small voice and little hand pushing me. “Wake up!” it said I opened my eyes and there was the little boy sitting there next to me. I sat up and looked around. Water, we were sitting in about 4 inches of it, and it was rising fast. I realise we have to get out or we will drown. I grab the boy and start to make my way up the stairs; it’s a tough battle because the stairs are like a waterfall, the wet salty water coming down fast, it’s hard to find out where to put my feet. I make it out. I carry the boy out of the house, wading though waist high water. We must find safety. I feel something brush against me, I look down to find a young girls body up turned floating past. I look away in horror. The boy sees it and hugs me tighter. The adrenalin rushes through my body, and I keep moving. Suddenly the ground underneath me begins to shake. A great crack begins to appear a little way off. They water around me begins to drain away. EARTHQUAKE! Someone yells. I lose my footing, and fall to the ground. Although I can still breathe the little boy cannot, and he slips from my arms. Terror runs through me, I must save him. He is pulled away by a current. “Help!” he cried in panic “help me please”. I trudge after him, but the water holds me firm, it does not wish me to save the boy. “Find something to hold onto!” I shout but he did not hear me for he has been pulled under water. I am pulled under the water after him. I would rather save his life then my own. I open my eyes to try see him, the salt water stings. There he is floating just a little way off. I reach out my arm, using every last gasp of air and the last of my strength I through myself forward. This water will not defeat me. My fingers grasp around his small delicate arms. He does not move. I pull him close, and kick off from the ground. Air fills my lungs as we break away from the waters grip. I pull him up onto the safe ground. His body hangs lifeless and limp. There is a smile upon his small innocent face, as if he was happy just a few minutes before death. Tears pore down my cheeks, and running off the end of my nose. How can god be real, if he is willing to sacrifice such a young boy?


Real life...

My heart pounds in my chest as if it’s a drum. Why had no one seen it coming? Why was it that so many people should die?
10 years ago from today that poor boy died, just like the millions of others, there was a mass disaster caused by global warming. Countries such as Mexico, and America where hit the worst, but we in Whangaparaoa where hit terribly.One million people died from New Zealand. The world was hit by a series of earthquakes, hurricanes, tidal waves, and temperature change. On one was ready or prepared for such devastation. Now the saviours have been evacuated to Antarctica, though it has melted so much that there is not enough room for everyone to live there, we are forced to live in slum condition. Nowhere else is fit to live, and there is no technology or development our only recourses are the ones around us. It was a terrible even which caused over three quarters of the world population to die. The way that the world lives now it a horrible state. It could have been avoided, there were signs, warnings but no one took notice until it was far too late. May we regroup and rebuild. Mankind may be no more.

I stand up, although there is much more for me to see, I must get back to the boats, before I get stuck here forever. I walk with a heavy heart back to meet all the other saviours.

The end.

No comments: